My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 3 seconds. If not, visit
http://buttercupdays.wordpress.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Le Ricette degli Nonni













As much as it is my ultimate goal/dream in life to live in Europe (at least for part of the year), I have to admit that Canada is a wonderful place. And what makes it most wonderful, in my opinion, is the fact that the majority of its citizens are comprised of either 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from all over the world. Being the curious person that I am, (I was once told by my second grade elementary school teacher that I am too curious and that I always have my "ears perked up like a little puppy dog"...I'll never forget that), the fact that our nation is a compilation of diverse cultures is perfect for me, allowing my culinary queries to be satisfied both easily and authentically. Fortunately, I am only second generation, and, being young, I have the privilege of being surrounded by many first generation-ers who have played such an important role in my growing appreciation for food and tradition. I, like so many others, have been blessed with the key to the past: I have participated in the rituals, I have been told and re-told the stories of home, I have ate the food of my ancestors, I have watched the magicians recreate the dishes with ease, I have access to their secrets...how will I honour this privilege? When the population shifts from being comprised of both immigrants and their offspring, to merely their offspring, how will we keep the tradition alive? I have decided to fulfill my duty with the tools I know how to use best; I will contribute to my past by fusing it with my present: through technology.


Le Ricette degli Nonni will be a multi-part series to my blog. In it, I will profile our grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles, godparents, family friends, paesans...you get the point...anyone whose citizenship in this country is "permanent resident" (or sometimes not even, eek!), and get the inside scoop on their take on tradition. Obviously the focus here is on food, but it will not merely focus on recipes. It will be all-encompassing--how food is important to their culture, to their families, to their history. Although the name may be deceiving, my research will not be restricted to people of the Italian heritage, (I just thought it had a nice ring to it), but will include memories of people from all over the world.

So prepare for a trip into the past, guided by the hands of our ancestors. Join me in their kitchens, as I uncover the secrets kept under the table and ensure that the past is not forgotten when they are gone, but it continues to live on in our hearts and on our plates.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home